157th ENGINEER COMBAT BATTALION
BRIEF ORGANIZATIONAL HISTORY
  The battalion was constituted in the Army of the United States in February 1943 and activated on April 12, 1943 at Camp Maxey, Texas where it trained until September 1943. The battalion participated in maneuvers at the Louisiana Maneuver Area in October and November 1943 before returning to Camp Maxey, Texas. In mid-February 1944 the unit moved to Camp Shanks, New York for staging overseas. The battalion departed from New York Port of Embarkation, aboard the USS Lyons to join a large convoy and arrive in England on March 9, 1944 and spent two months in intensive training in Chipping Norton, Eng. The 157th Engineers left Southampton, England and landed at Utah Beach, Normandy, France on June 25, 1944. It served in France until March 1945 and subsequently served in Germany and Austria. The unit is credited with participation in the Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe campaigns. The unit served with the First Army, Third Army, Seventh Army and they were also attached to the 1109th Engr. Combat Group. They provided aid to DeGaulle’s Free French. Members of the outfit built the first bridge across the Seine River and built a bridge for General Patton’s Third Army at Mantes. When Patton moved into Paris, those affiliated with the 157th Engrs. were among the first soldiers to enter the city. Thereafter they went to Germany and Austria and became the personal Engineer Battalion for General Mark Clark. Army records show 157th Engrs. Experienced one of the longest continuous combat records, a total of 324 consecutive days. The 157th Engrs. left the port of Marseilles, France, on December 10, 1945, returning to the Boston Port of Embarkation on December 21, 1945. The following day the battalion was inactivated at Camp Myles Standish, Massachusetts. The 157th Engineer Combat Battalion was later consolidated with the 370th Engineer Combat Battalion, the consolidated unit being designated as 370th Engineer Amphibious Support Regiment. It served in the Army Reserve from 1946 to 1954.
Email: Click here for email
Back buttonBack to Story index page